In 1887, shortly after the arrival of Robert Louis Stevenson in Saranac Lake, the Chateaugay Railroad completed building the tracks which provided the first rail service here. New York Central service later came in from the west to a station on Broadway. In 1904, passenger service from both lines was consolidated at the new Union Depot, the largest station on the line north of Utica. Passenger service ended in 1965, and freight in 1972. An extensive rehabilitation was completed in 1999, and the Adirondack Scenic Railroad opened its tourist line late that year.
AARCH Award 1999
Village of Saranac Lake, Adirondack North Country Association and Historic Saranac Lake
For the restoration of the Union Depot, Saranac Lake